Tuesday, June 16, 2009

POLYSEMY AND HOMONYMY

Read the following sentences; find the words that are related either by form (spelling and/or pronunciation) or by meaning. Explain how they are related:


1. There is enough food to feed an army.
Feed the plants once a week.
You need to feed coins into the meter.

2. The chair is made of wood.
I would read a lot if I had more free time.

3. She left the room silently.
Fewer people write with their left hand than with their right.

4. I’ve just had a tooth out at the dentist.
The saw doest not cut well because it lost two teeth.
Choose an essay topic you can really get your teeth into.

5. You never know the value of water until the well is dry.
I don’t feel very well.
The kids all behaved well.

6. I read the newspaper yesterday. I read it everyday.

7. She’s training for the big race.
Farmers want to introduce a new race of cattle.

8. Japanese greet people with a bow.
Indians used bows and arrows to defend themselves.

9. A dove is a bird which is seen in many squares in Santiago.
The swimmer dove into the pool.

10 She died from a fatal wound.
He wound the wool into a ball.

1 comment: